I know the first two recipes I’ve posted boast that they’re the BEST but they’ve been tested multiple times and loved by all those who’ve tried it!
I’ve made this chicken dish every week for the past month and my family still loves it! My husband “Chai” can’t handle spicy foods well but makes a rare exception for this dish. The spiciness depends on how spicy the gochujang (Korean red chili paste) is so you can adjust the level to your own preference.
The spicy-sweet sauce is especially delicious and goes well with rice and other vegetables.
I love how this chicken dish is on the healthier side since it’s made with honey and baked instead of being fried.
Please try it and comment below! I hope you enjoy it as much as our family does!
This is a photo of the sesame oil I used to make the dish. You can use it as a reference if you need help finding sesame oil in a Korean/Asian supermarket.
Yield: 5 servings
Time: 1 hour 55 minutes
5-7 medium chicken drumsticks or 2 ½ lb chicken drumsticks
5 cloves of garlic, minced
¾ cup honey
¼ cup ketchup
½ cup soy sauce
*2 tbsp gochujang (Korean red chili paste)
*1 tbsp gochugaru (Korean chili flakes)
*1 tbsp sesame oil
*freshly grounded sesame seeds
You can find these ingredients at your local Korean grocery store or H-mart.
The level of spiciness depends on how spicy the gochujang is.
If you can’t handle spicy foods then omit the gochujang and gochugaru. You’ll still end up with delicious honey garlic chicken drumsticks!
1) Put chicken drumsticks in a large bowl and submerge with icy cold water for about 15 minutes.
2) Prepare the sauce by mixing honey, ketchup, soy sauce, gochujang, gochugaru, sesame oil and garlic together.
3) Remove the chicken from the water and make 3 slits on both sides of the drumstick with a knife to allow the sauce to cover the chicken thoroughly. Place the prepared chicken in a baking pan that has high sides and allows all the drumsticks to fit in.
4) Pour the marinade over the drumsticks evenly and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to overnight.
5) Preheat the oven to 350 °F with racks in the middle.
6) Put the chicken in the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Raise the temperature to 425°F. Take the chicken out and flip the drumsticks on to the other side. Return to oven and let it caramelize for 15 minutes. Remove the chicken from the oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
7) Garnish with freshly grounded sesame seeds and enjoy!
8) You can also use the leftover sauce for stir fried vegetables or to mix with rice!