Soft boiled eggs with a slightly runny texture are one of the simple pleasures in life! They’re also amazingly delicious when marinated and in a delicious bowl of Japanese ramen! Most Japanese restaurants charge extra for that delectable marinated egg. I’m happy to share this recipe with you so that you can make your own marinated eggs. The best part is that it’s so incredibly easy to make!
Marinated eggs are delicious not only in ramen but also with rice dishes, udon and many other noodle dishes, and just simply by themselves! My family and friends say these eggs are dangerous because it’s hard to stop at one! I hope you enjoy them and use the eggs in your favorite dishes as well!
Yield: 4 Marinated Eggs
Time: 15 min prep time and 1-2 days of marinating
- 4 Eggs
- ½ cup of Soy sauce
- ¼ cup of Mirin
- ¼ cup of Cooking rice wine
- 1 TBSP Brown sugar
- 1 tsp Garlic, minced
- ¼ of Scallion, chopped
You can find Mirin and Cooking rice wine in your local Asian supermarket.
- Boil enough water to cover the eggs and gently put in the eggs one at a time with a straining ladle. Boil for at least 6 minutes or 8 minutes depending on how runny you like the yolk. I recommend 8 minutes for eggs with a partially gooey texture like in the photos.
- In the meantime, put the soy sauce, mirin, cooking rice wine, sugar, and garlic in a small pot and bring it to a boil. Let the mixture boil for 3 minutes and then let it cool.
- As soon as the eggs are finished cooking, run them under cool water and peel immediately.
- Put the soy sauce marinade in a clean jar where all the eggs can also fit in and put in the scallion. Put the eggs in the soy sauce marinade. The marinade should cover all the eggs. Cover the jar and place in the fridge. Allow it to marinate for 1 to 2 days depending on how strong you like the flavor.
After 2 days, if you haven’t eaten all of them yet, take the eggs out of the marinade and place them in a separate container. It’s best to consume them within 2 days and you can re-use the marinade to make more eggs if you’d like or use it to make some teriyaki sauce!