How was everyone’s Thanksgiving? I hope you enjoyed a wonderful time with your family and loved ones! We had an early lunch for Thanksgiving this year but it was quite a feast with too much food like always~ I wasn’t able to eat as much macaroni and cheese as I would have liked because I was so full from all the food. The fresh organic cranberry sauce, gravy, green beans and turkey drumsticks were really delicious. The stuffing this year was a flop despite having used wheat bread and trying to cook it from scratch. Perhaps I overbaked it while I was trying to dry the bread out?
My family is a cozy number of people and everyone doesn’t like turkey as much as I do. They prefer chicken over turkey so we have replaced turkey with chicken or kalbi during the past years. This year, I insisted on turkey but nobody wanted a huge turkey so we decided on delicious drumsticks. I am really glad we chose to do just drumsticks this year as I wasn’t feel well enough to prepare and cook everything Wednesday night and Thursday. Thankfully, Chai helped a lot with making the dishes this year! Turkey drumsticks are also the most delicious part of the turkey! I hope you can enjoy this recipe for next Thanksgiving or any time of the year! It’s especially delicious with fresh cranberry sauce or gravy!
Yield: 4 medium Turkey Drumsticks
Time: 1 hour 10 minutes + brining overnight
- 9 cups of water
- 9 TBSP of salt
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 medium turkey drumsticks
- 8 cloves of garlic, minced
- Combine the water, salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, and bay leaves in a large pot over medium heat. Stir and bring to a boil until sugar is well dissolved. Remove the brine from the heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- Place turkey drumsticks in a large container and add brine. Cover and place in the fridge overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450°F with racks in the middle.
- Spray racks on a baking tray with oil.
- Remove turkey drumsticks from brine and place them on racks. Pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Cut slits into both sides of each drumstick and spread garlic on top of the drumsticks.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Cover the drumsticks with foil and cook in oven for another 30 minutes. The instant thermometer should read 165°F in the thickest part of each turkey.
- Remove the turkey drumsticks from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes with the foil for juicy drumsticks.
- Serve with gravy and cranberry sauce on the side!