Macaroni and cheese is one of my favorite dishes to indulge in! I’ve loved this dish and made it myself since I was a child. I started off with enjoying macaroni and cheese from Boston Market and usually enjoyed it around Thanksgiving. Then I started making the Kraft macaroni and cheese at home until I graduated to making this wonderful and cheesy dish from scratch. I still haven’t developed the perfect macaroni and cheese recipe because it’s so difficult to make a healthier version of this dish that doesn’t lose any of its cheesy and savory flavor. The following recipe is a nice substitute for the dish if you don’t want to use heavy cream and you’re watching your figure. Cottage cheese is also nutritious, full of protein and calcium, and helps make the dish creamy! I hope you enjoy it! 😊
Yield: 7 servings
Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 4 oz penne or elbow pasta, uncooked
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- Small pinch of ground nutmeg
- Small pinch of cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Ground pepper, to taste
- 1 ½ cup extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375°F with racks in the middle. Spray a large baking pan with oil. Place uncooked pasta in the pan.
- In a blender, blend cottage cheese, milk, dry mustard, ground nutmeg, cayenne pepper, sea salt, and ground pepper until well combined.
- Pour blended cheese mixture into the pan on top of the pasta and add the cheddar cheese and mix well.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and bake for another 30 minutes until the edges are golden brown. Let it cool for 10 minutes and enjoy!