This is the first ice cream I’ve ever made if you don’t count frozen popsicles and it’s way more delicious. It’s a rich treat that is bursting with lemon and sweet goodness. Lemon Semifreddo with Blueberries defines how to enjoy a frozen dessert during the hot summer with crisp lemons and fresh sweet blueberries. My family also loved it with Chai making “mm MMM” noises when he first tried it (music to a chef’s ears!) I hope you will also enjoy
making eating this very tasty dessert this summer! 😊
Yield: 10 servings
Time: 20 minutes + 8 hours freezing time
- ½ cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- 1 ¼ cup brown sugar
- 7 large egg yolks
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Finely grated peel of 1 lemon
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 ¾ cup cold heavy cream
- 2 cups blueberries
- Line a metal loaf pan (9x5x3 inches) with plastic wrap and leave enough wrap hanging outside the pan. Spread the walnuts on the bottom of the pan.
- Over a pot of simmering water on medium-low heat, set a metal bowl on top and whisk sugar, egg yolks, lemon juice, lemon peel, and sea salt inside for approximately 7 minutes or until the egg mixture turns thick and creamy.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and continue to whisk egg mixture in an electric mixer for 6 minutes on medium-high speed or until double the volume. Set aside.
- In an electric mixer, whisk heavy cream until soft peaks form. Gently fold heavy cream into the egg mixture. Pour the mixture into the metal pan, cover the pan, and freeze for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Using the plastic wrap that was hanging outside the pan, gently place the semifreddo upside down onto a large plate. Serve immediately decorated with blueberries.