This is one of my favorite dishes that my mother makes for me whenever we buy wild salmon fillets. It’s very delicious with its rich crab and sweet roe topping and vegetables that are cooked underneath the salmon. It’s one of my favorite ways to get my regular omega 3 intake. I strongly suggest using Japanese mayonnaise such as the brand Kewpie rather than using an American mayonnaise since it will change the flavor. You can use almost any vegetable in your fridge that will bake well. My mother often uses onions, carrots, shredded cabbage, and thinly sliced potatoes. It’s also quite tasty when you mix olives into the dish. This dish uses all the flavors in its ingredients to really shine. It’s a perfect and savory dish to enjoy with friends and family.
The ginger cooking wine is used to marinate the salmon and helps get rid of the fishy smell. It’s good to have on stock and can be used for any fish or meat dishes. The ginger can also be re-used once more to make more cooking wine.
Yield: 8-10 servings
Time: overnight preparation + 90 minutes
- 1/8 cup ginger cooking wine (see below)
- 1.5 lb wild salmon fillet, cut into 4 inch rectangles
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 medium potato, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- ½ large carrot, sliced
- ¼ cabbage, shredded
- 3-4 garlic, sliced
- ½ cup olives, chopped
- 2 cups imitation crab sticks, cut in half and shredded
- ¾ cup sweet fish roe
- 1 cup Japanese mayonnaise (more if needed)
Ingredients for ginger cooking wine (1 part ginger and 2 part alcohol; you can adjust as needed)
- ½ cup ginger, sliced
- 1 cup alcohol such as white wine or rice wine
Prepare in advance) Prepare the ginger cooking wine by combining ingredients in a clean container and letting it soak overnight. You can re-use the ginger once more to make more cooking wine and then discard the ginger.
- In a large container, marinate the wild salmon with ginger cooking wine and season with salt for a few hours or overnight in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F with racks placed in the middle of the oven.
- Spray bottom and sides of a large baking pan with oil.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with the heavier vegetables first (potatoes) and then evenly layer carrots, zucchini, cabbage, onions, garlic, and olives on top. Layer the salmon evenly on top of the vegetables.
- In a large bowl, combine the shredded crab meat, roe, and mayonnaise until well mixed. Add more mayonnaise if needed. It should be very creamy.
- Distribute the crab and roe topping evenly on top of the salmon. Push down the edges of the pan with the back of a spoon so it doesn’t overflow. Cover the baking pan with foil.
- Bake for 60 minutes. Then remove the foil and let it bake for 5-10 minutes uncovered or until the topping starts slightly browning. Make sure the salmon is well cooked inside. Serve immediately and enjoy! 😊