I’ve been eating oatmeal nearly daily for the past few months. I love the health benefits of oatmeal and it seems to be one of the few breakfasts that my whole family can enjoy together. My mother nowadays likes to eat avocado, banana, and fruits for breakfast. Chai likes to eat a western style breakfast including bread and pastries. Oatmeal is a wonderful compromise for my family to enjoy since it’s nutritious, gluten free, and full of fiber. I love to top our oatmeal with cinnamon, golden flaxseed meal, pumpkin seeds, and raw honey.
This was my first time baking oatmeal instead of cooking it on the stove. It’s an extremely easy recipe! This dish can be enjoyed for breakfast or as a healthy snack. It has a nice aroma due to the spices and fruit while its sweetness is enhanced with dates. If you would like it a tad sweeter, then I suggest drizzling it with raw honey.
Yield: 8 servings
Time: 45 minutes
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 large medjool dates, chopped
- Optional: pumpkin seeds to decorate
- Preheat oven to 350°F with racks in the middle. Spray a large baking pan with oil.
- Mix the wet ingredients (banana, pumpkin, eggs, milk, and vanilla extract) until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients (rolled oats, sugar, spices, salt, baking powder) and mix well.
- Stir in the dates. Pour batter into baking tray. Optionally decorate with pumpkin seeds.
- Bake for 35 minutes and serve warm.