I remember when I was in elementary school, I had a Japanese friend who was also my classmate and neighbor. Her mother was creative in origami and baking. She would give us banana bread on a regular basis. It was always soft, subtly sweet, and smelled deliciously like freshly baked bananas! I think the memory of enjoying her banana bread inspired me to bake my own years later.
I used extra virgin olive oil for a healthier banana bread in this recipe! It’s one of the healthiest and best oils to use for cooking and I feel that it doesn’t affect the taste of the banana bread while keeping it nice and moist!
This banana bread is not too sweet at all which my family prefers. If you’d like your banana bread to be a bit sweeter, you can drizzle honey on top of your cooled banana bread.
Yield: 7.5 x 9.5 inch loaf of bread
Time: 1 hour and 5 minutes
- 4 large ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup maple syrup (grade A)
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°F with racks in the middle.
- Mix dry ingredients (flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg) in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Mix mashed bananas, maple syrup, olive oil, eggs, and vanilla extract in an electric mixer until well combined.
- Slowly stir in remaining dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Spray baking pan with oil and pour batter in the pan. Even out the surface and bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean. Let it cool and enjoy!